Apart from giving back to the community, shopping small has many advantages, such as:
Helping the economy
Getting better customer service
All round greater product diversity
And it makes you feel good!
Knowing that you’ve not only bought something lovely for yourself, you’ve also helped out a small business owner and their livelihood. So, instead of giving your money to big business owners who are probably already rolling around in their multi-millions of dollars on their own private islands, you’re helping out the local community which, no doubt, need the help a hell of a lot more than the top guys do!
So, bearing this in mind, I thought it’d be interesting to hold a short interview with a person that falls in the category of owning a small business. And guess what? She’s also my sister!
My sister, Tacha, is a professional Graphic Designer who specialises in illustration and digital design. Personally, I feel that her artwork is very magical with a hint of elegance that really brings a peaceful and happy state of mind to you.
So, let’s give you guys an insight into the life of the person behind ‘CoconuTacha‘!
1) Why did you want to start your own business in the first place?
“Well, I was still in school the time I decided that I wanted to have a go at running a small online shop. I knew the only thing I wanted to do in life was produce artwork, and to be able to make a living off that was just a distant dream. I just thought ‘why not?’, and quickly got around to creating my little online shop. Some of the first things I ever created are ghastly! Or… let’s just say my style has changed a lot haha!”
2) Ouch, they are pretty ghastly.. Just kidding! So where did you get the name ‘CoconuTacha‘ from?
“I literally come up with the name in a few seconds. While setting up my Etsy shop online, it didn’t occur to me that I’d have to choose a name until I got to the very end of the process and they asked me for a shop name. I was stumped! I didn’t want anything too specific like Tacha’s Art, just in case I wanted to do something different in future… So instead, I fused my favourite scent with my name (Coconut and Tacha) and CoconuTacha was created. Don’t laugh.”
3) Coconut is a pretty good smell! So, what’s your favourite design you’ve created?
“Oooh, my new Disneyland Paris inspired castle print for sure! It’s the first proper 100% digital painting I’ve ever done – and I love that place so much. It just brings back some happy memories for me. I’m also enjoying creating wedding stationery at the moment too. A few of my designs are already available as samples in my shop!”
4) I’ll know where to go for some wedding invitations then! What I love most about your work is the fact that I can see your personality shining right through it! Does anything inspire your work?
“Anything Disney related, as you can probably tell from my work! I’m inspired by the designs and the ‘magic’ feeling that is artificially produced in the theme parks themselves. The designs there are so intelligently subtle that you don’t even realise that you are being tricked into a whole fake reality. If you’ve never been to a Disney park before, put it on your bucket-list! It’s a must-see for artists and designers. One of my favourite designers at the moment is Adam Grason, who has done work for the Walt Disney Company in the past.”
5) Yes guys, Disney parks are a 100% must! Owning your own business can’t always be a smooth ride, right? So what is the most challenging part of running your Etsy shop?
“The most challenging part for me is as well as managing my own business, I also have to be like 20 other people at the same time. Such as customer service, post-woman, packaging, delivering, printing, organising my finances as well as being the designer. and that’s what I find challenging. Keeping on top of it all. Nevertheless, it’s all worth it in the end, because I get to do what I love.”
6) You said that you started having this dream of running an online business since you were in School. You’ve come a long way from where you were then to where you are today. What has motivated you throughout this journey?
“Honestly? When I graduated uni I thought I wanted to work within a company and as a team, but then I realised that my dream job didn’t quite work out as I’d previously imagined. So, I started to put more of my time into my Etsy shop, and I just thought “Hey, why can’t I do this full-time?”. I quit my job and turned my part-time business into a full-time business. I just thought if they can do it, so can I.”
7) And do you have any advice for people who want to start their own business?
1) “Just do it. Don’t think about it. If you want to do something then you should just go on and do it. JUST DO IT. Hah. Like Nike.”
2) “Don’t be afraid of what artwork or products or whatever you wish to show off to the world as you’ll be pleasantly surprised for what people like and what they’re looking for. There’s a market out there for everything. Well, most things.”
3) “Don’t let others discourage you from doing what you love.”
And that’s a wrap!
So, as you can see, my sister is a pretty talented individual, so why not check out her business for yourself? You can check out her shop by clicking here, and whilst you’re there, why not nab yourselves a cute little bear print, just like this one! (If you’ve read my Barcelona post you can probably tell by now that I have a slight obsession with the Grizzly’s).
It’s Competition Time!
- Follow myself and CoconuTacha‘s Instagram
- Comment ‘done’ on the giveaway picture
- And to double your chances of winning, simply tag a friend in the comments!
But hurry! The competition closes on Saturday 22nd April at 5 PM (UK time), and the winner will be announced on Sunday 23rd April via Instagram.
Good luck guys!
Terms and Conditions of the giveaway competition
- Giveaway is international.
- Must be over 16 to enter.
- To be selected, you must be following both CoconuTacha and JemVentures, and have also commented on the picture either on CoconuTacha’s account or JemVentures.
- The £10 gift voucher can only be redeemed once.
- The £10 gift voucher can be used to purchase anything in the shop, except for custom orders.
- Your account must be a public account in order to enter.